About Me

This blog is to keep up with all my foody ponderings and hopefully make your tummy rumble.

Monday 29 October 2012

On a ‘Mission’ to Find a Great Veggie Burrito in London

I recently ate several really great burritos at End of the Road Festival, where the lovely people at Luardo's had a van. I ate one every day I was there because I quickly realised their burritos were unique in that they were incredibly tasty, not too unhealthy and you could eat them one-handed (leaving the other hand free for beer!). They reignited my love of the burrito in all its drippy, oozy loveliness and I really couldn’t wait to get my mitts on an ultimate Mission-style burrito when we visited San Francisco on our recent road trip.

I had ONE opportunity to get a burrito while in San Fran and it needed to be good. I spent far more time researching the best places than I did actually eating the thing. I chose The Little Chihuahua Mexican Restaurant just off Haight Street and I wasn’t disappointed. Check out their menu.

I went for the fried plantain and black bean burrito. This burrito weighed as much as a newborn baby and there was no way I was going to do it justice. Nevertheless, I found a spot where I could eat without fear of drippage and tucked in. I managed about half, minus a few larger bits of the plantain, which were a little too much like plain old bananas for my tastes. Weird. 

A good spot for some quality burrito time

Since getting back to London, I’ve had a go at making my own burrito at home, with some success. It’s difficult to get tortillas that are big enough to keep everything in place and I didn’t make the essential watery pico de gallo, which left my slightly sad burrito wanting for some depth of flavour that hot chilli sauce alone couldn't deliver.

So...the next step is to try to find the ultimate London burrito experience. I’m going to start with the following list from Time Out and will report back on my findings. 


No comments:

Post a Comment